- 2 large sweet onions, cut in half and thinly sliced
- Hunk of butter
- 2-3 cups vegetable stock (see notes below)
- 1 TBSP flour, chick pea flour or organic arrow root powder for gluten-free
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- Freshly ground pepper
- Gruyere cheese, shaved thin or grated
- Salt (maybe)
In a dutch oven or a pot big enough for the entire soup, cook the onions in the butter until they start to brown. Add garlic, stock, flour, and vinegar. Stir and cover. Simmer for 15-20 minutes until the stock has thickened and the onions are soft and tender. Sprinkle in some freshly ground pepper.
Fill custard cups or oven safe soup bowls 3/4 inch from to with soup. Top with cheese. Place under broiler until the cheese is melty and browned. Enjoy!
For the vegetable stock, I save the water from cooking potatoes and other vegetables and can it. I like to use potato water and beet water in this soup.
In South Central PA, you can get dairy products from here.
In South Central PA, you can find organic veggies here.
High quality salts, herbs & spices can be found here.