- 2 TBSP grassfed ghee
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2-inch knob ginger, minced
- 2 heaping TBSP or 7 cloves garlic, minced (I used my garlic press)
- 2 Serrano peppers, minced (remove seeds/rib if you don't like it spicy!)
- 2 tsp salt, adjust to taste
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp Kashmiri chili powder (or a little less if using cayenne)
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound (16 ounces) fresh baby spinach (large container), rinsed
- 1 pound (16 ounces) chopped mustard leaves (stem removed), rinsed
- 1 TBSP grassfed ghee
- 1 tsp garam masala
- Pinch of kasoori methi (aka fenugreek leaves)
- Grassfed ghee
Add 2 tablespoons of ghee, onion, ginger, garlic, Serrano pepper, and spices to your crock pot. Set on high for 1 hour.
While that’s cooking, grab a very large pot. Add the mustard and spinach leaves to the large pot – then fill with water. Do not put lid on pot– see notes. Bring the pot to a boil and cook for 5 minutes. Drain the leaves (reserving the liquid) and let them cool.
Once cool, place leaves in a blender and blend to your desired consistency. Add a little water, if needed.
Place the blended leaves into your crock pot, reduce heat to low, put lid on and cook for 2 hours.
After 2 hours, add 1 tablespoon ghee, garam masala and pinch of kasoori/fenugreek leaves.
Mix well and let this cook for another hour on low.
Serve this saag with a heaping spoonful of ghee on top!
The reason you don’t want to place a cover on the pot while boiling the greens is because doing so will cause the pretty green color to fade.
I make this on stove top over low heat and greatly reduce the cooking time – I also do not blend the spinach and mustard leaf mixture. It is delicious that way too. Its like Saag paneer without the paneer . . . And save the water the spinach was boiled in to reuse in soups. It is a power packed veggie broth.
In South Central PA, you can find organic veggies here.
Excellent culinary salts are available from here.
High quality salts, herbs, spices & seeds can be found here.